What is Invisalign Aligner?
Dental braces are used for straightening teeth all over the world. Two types of such braces are available, the first type is traditional which is usually made up of metal and is visible while the second type is modern and these braces are usually invisible or clear. Although tooth straightening was traditionally associated with children and teenagers but with the advent of invisible dental braces more adults are now undergoing tooth straightening treatments.
Invisalign Aligners are the advanced and clear dental braces that straighten teeth quickly, safely, and conveniently. Invisalign Aligners consist of a series of aligner braces that are replaced every one to two weeks. After each replacement, the teeth move slightly and therefore the new aligner is different from its predecessor. These replacements of aligners continue till the final correction.
Invisalign Aligner Braces are safe, removable, and invisible. These braces are also a quick solution for treating teeth protrusions. Therefore Invisalign dental braces are very much popular and more than 3 million people worldwide have used these, so far.
Who Needs It?
Invisalign braces are a versatile straightening solution as it can treat a range of straightening issues. There is no age restriction for Invisalign treatment but you must have good oral health-healthy jaws, gums, and teeth. Invisalign treatment also requires some dedication on part of the patient. If you are committed to straightening your teeth and have excellent jaws, gums, and teeth, then you are the right candidate for Invisalign treatment. Invisalign Aligners can be used for treating any of the following issues.
- Crowded teeth
- Overbite/ Deep bite
- Open bite
- Gap teeth
- Crooked teeth
How Does Invisalign Work?
If you need the Invisalign teeth straightening treatment, then you have to progress through the following steps.
- Consultation with a certified dentist is the first step in the process. The dentist will examine your teeth condition to decide whether the Invisalign treatment is suitable for you. You have to visit the office physically for consultation.
- After the consultation, the dentist will take impressions and photos of your teeth for creating a customized treatment plan for you. At this stage, usually, the dentist takes a 3-D image of your teeth for precisely locating your teeth positions. Then custom aligner braces are fabricated for you and the first one is fitted in your mouth.
- Once fitted in the mouth, these initial custom braces are replaced with a new aligner brace after a week or two (usually two weeks). With each replacement, the teeth are moved slightly to their desired positions. Invisalign braces are removable and you can remove them for eating, drinking, or for brushing teeth.
- Though every two weeks you can replace your braces,, however, a regular check every 4-6 weeks is necessary for assessing the improvement or otherwise.
- Finally, you will need a retainer after completion of the treatment. A retainer for every orthodontic treatment is necessary because it keeps teeth stable in their new positions. If you want your teeth to remain in their ideal position, it is best to wear retainers as advised by the dentist.
Invisalign Aligners are manufactured from special plastic and the treatment includes several braces (replaced after a certain period). A custom set of braces is fabricated for each individual and he or she has to follow his custom treatment plan.
With each replacement teeth slightly move and hence at the end, teeth are positioned in the right place. On average, the treatment period for normal cases ranges from 9-18 weeks and you have to wear the braces for 20 to 22 hours a day throughout the treatment.
What is the Cost of the Treatment with Invisalign?
The Invisalign treatment is costlier than traditional metal braces but however, it is worth an investment for your aesthetic smile. Invisalign treatment is a discreet straightening solution. For a normal case (9-18 weeks), the cost of the treatment ranges from 2200 pounds to 5500 pounds.
You can also pay your treatment charges in easy monthly installments, but in this case, your charges may be slightly higher than normal (2200-5500 pounds) due to interest charges. The aftercare (retainer) charges are not included in the above estimate.
Invisalign braces have the following obvious advantages.
Pros of Invisalign
- Invisible: Invisalign dental braces are made up of transparent plastic and therefore they are invisible. These braces are one of the best discreet teeth straightening solutions in the world. Adults frequently opt for Invisalign for avoiding embarrassment associated with the traditional metal braces.
- Customized Braces: For every individual, customized braces are created so these are often comfortable to wear besides their effectiveness.
- Low Maintenance Cost: Once fitted in the mouth, the braces are usually replaced after a week or two. Therefore, the braces have no or minimal maintenance costs.
- Quick Result: After each replacement, you can see a visible difference in the position of your teeth so these amazing invisible braces yield almost instant results.
- Convenience: Invisalign Aligners are convenient as you can remove them for activities like eating, drinking, or any other important occasion. Because of these light and invisible braces, you can avoid the inconvenience associated with metal braces.
However, Invisalign Aligner braces also have some of the following downsides.
Cons of Invisalign
- Expensive: If you are on a tight budget then Invisalign braces are not an option for you as they are comparatively costlier. You have to pay anywhere from 2200 pounds to 5500 pounds for the entire treatment which is indeed a hefty price.
- Frequent Replacements: Treatment period for a normal case ranges from 9 to 18 months and if you keep changing your brace every two weeks then you have to replace around 36 braces! These frequent replacements are yet another downside of the Invisalign treatment.
- Uncomfortable at the Start: Some people experience temporary discomfort for a few days at the beginning of each new stage of the treatment when they insert a new aligner. This is normal and typically described as a feeling of pressure. It is a sign that the aligners are working- moving your teeth gradually, but you have to bear the pain for a couple of days after each new insertion.
- Retainers: After treatment, retainers-permanent or temporary- are needed for preventing relapse.
Of all the downsides, the only cost can be categorized as a real downside because every orthodontic procedure involves some inconvenience and pain. And all of the orthodontic treatments need retention appliances. Therefore, Invisalign treatment is worth an investment for your beautiful smile.
More than 3 million people have gone through Invisalign treatment and the following are some of the patient testimonials about the Invisalign treatment.
Invisalign Customer Reviews:
“My husband is about six months into his Invisalign journey, and so far it’s been pretty positive. He had more discomfort early on, but now he’s not really feeling a lot of pain.”
“Best decision ever!
I was really hesitant to begin with but I’m so glad I went through with the decision. I have noticed such a difference in my confidence levels as my teeth are almost straight and they were so overcrowded before. I haven’t had many implications so far and I am almost all the way through.”
I’m now well into my Invisalign treatment, and am absolutely LOVING IT!”
“6 weeks in
I’m 6 weeks into my invisalign journey and it’s just blended into my everyday life and routine. Initially it was hard, but after a week or so my mouth just got used to it. I haven’t really had any discomfort since and now I feel weird not wearing them!”
“Better than braces!
I completed my Invisalign treatment just under 2 months ago and I have no regrets in choosing invisalign over braces. My teeth weren’t that crooked to begin with so my treatment was meant to be one year, but I decided that I wanted my teeth shifted a bit more and that added an extra year.”
Most frequent questions and answers
Invisalign is amongst the most expensive clear aligner services. The cost range is between 2200 to 5500 pounds depending on your teeth health
Not completely. However, they are made to be as unrecognizable as possible. Your friends and family will be able to tell you are wearing something on your teeth.
After treatment, retainers-permanent or temporary- are needed for preventing relapse.
Yes. Invisalign treatments include: Crowded teeth, Crossbite, Overbite, Deep bite, Underbite, Open bite, Gap teeth
- Crooked teeth